Monday, October 10, 2005

Welcome to Hell Week

This week’s entries are bound to be a bit dominated by things theatrical, as the production of Jekyll & Hyde I’m in opens Friday. If you don’t like it, you might want to visit his site for a week or so. Nothing artsy-fartsy there, I assure you.

Now, back to J&H. There are some weird bits of personal trivia happening here.

1. First of all, even though I have a substantial amount of stage time in the show, I don’t have one prop. Not one. This is a relief when you consider …
2. I have never had the number of insane costume changes I have in this show. And they all involve going from one formal outfit to another. Let’s just say that when the dorector starts his notes after a rehearsal saying, “There are only a few people with really quick changes,” and the first person he names is a paraplegic, you’d better be praying hard to sweet St. Genesius. Thankfully, I have her as a dresser.
3. I have my first onstage duet in this show, which is a little weird, considering I have played a musical lead before. However, Julian Marsh and Peggy Sawyer never sing together in 42nd Street.
4. This marks the second time I’m playing someone’s father in a show. This time, sadly, I’m not being aged to play the role, which is just ridiculous. I’m not 50, I don’t feel 50, and I sure as hell don’t look 50. Midlife crisis, here I come. Thankfully, I have a drinking holiday built in about two weeks from now. Unfortunately, the holiday is another statement on my getting older. (Have you finished your shopping yet?)
5. This isn’t so much trivia as an observation: there’s something profoundly visceral and unnerving about seeing a death on stage. We’ve all more or less become desensitized to watching murder on screen, but put a murder in a theatre roughly 15 feet from the first row (and J&H has seven, count ‘em, seven!), and you have a different experience entirely. I can’t wait to see the audience’s faces.

More from tech week, otherwise known as Hell Week, as it progresses …

4 comments:

Sassy said...

which version of "letting go" are you doing? is it the one that is short & sweet (as is on the Christiane Noll recording) or the longer version (on the Carolee Carmello version)? We did the short one.

Ah, and how about that quartet? My favorite part. :) Is the Emma any good? If she reads this and you don't want to say you can always email me. ;)

Dr. Zoom said...

We are doing the short and sweet version. And our Emma is WONDERFUL. She has been a joy to work with.

Ah yes, "His Work and Nothing More." What a neat piece of music. It's made neater by the fact that, instead of the relatively boring MTI version, our stage manager transcribed the arrangement that has the moving eighth notes and the soaring tenor line for Utterson. Cooler still: I get to double Utterson on that line and bust out a high A at the end of it.

Ms. Hep said...

LOL - Udders. Anyway - thanks for the shout-out...I really tried to work hard on that friggin' change last night - it will be like choreography by the time we open!!

Ms. Hep said...

Whoo hoo - it was like buttah last night, baby :)